Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Self-Publishing: On Sales (February 2012)

Remember my last sales posts? (Here, here, and here if you'd like a refresher.) Well, sales were funny in February of 2012.


I left January visible for side-by-side comparison. As you can see, sales through Amazon took a significant hit while sales through the outlets Smashwords handles got a boost. I have no answers. I mean, I expected to see a decrease in Amazon sales, so that's not even a little surprising. Sales were so impressive in December and January that I believed they had peaked. The bump in sales, especially through Kobo, left me scratching my head a bit.

This month, I also thought it would be interesting to take a look at sales for the first six months my books were available.


You can click on the photo to enlarge it. What it boils down to is the number in the bottom left corner of the image: 8,996. In the first six months, I sold a total of 8,996 books through all outlets. The bulk of those sales came through Amazon.com and the bulk of even those sales came from a single book.

So there's the data. I'm not an analyst, so the only real conclusion I've drawn is that I'm pretty happy with the numbers and I'm going to keep at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment