Saturday, May 26, 2012

SitRep Saturday: When Fandom Attacks

I confess that once again I have made zero real progress on professional writing. See, I saw The Avengers last week and, well... I've been kind of immersed in fandom. Reading analysis of the movie and characters, tumblelogging pictures and memes, watching the prequel movies (I'd already seen The Incredible Hulk and Iron Man, so I watched Captain America: The First Avenger and... I had every intention of seeing Thor and Iron Man 2, I did, but... Cap!), and generally fangirling with a couple of girlfriends who also saw the movie and were similarly affected.

I've always wanted to be a comic book fan because the stories and characters are right up my alley, but I can't actually read comics. They give me a headache. This is why I'm thrilled that Civil War is coming out as a prose novel.

The guilt is tempting, it really is, except I've sort of dipped my toe back into the writing fanfiction game. Maybe I shouldn't admit that here. But I'm going to, anyway, because it's actually helping. My work has been pretty generic and stunted lately, good but not really moving in the direction I feel I should be moving, and most of my attempts to jumpstart my creativity and force myself to get better have failed. I've been feeling kind of hopeless but I've pressed on because the only real way to beat this sort of thing is to just keep writing. Thinking about fanfiction has done wonders for my creativity.

In fact, I have real news about the next writing project. It's not going to be the anthology I thought it was. I drafted the first story and then just got stuck on the second one--which is a good story, I feel, but it wasn't working because of the blockage--and I was getting down about it. But I've figured it out. The last two stories of the anthology are going to be set aside until a later date and the first story, the one I've already drafted, is going to be expanded. There's more to tell than what I've told. I think I'd like to learn more about Lydia and Locke for that matter.

So, if all goes well, I'll be reporting progress on Lost and Found on Burano Island by next Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment